Popular Posts

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Bike Rides, Runner Beans and Pumpkins.

Today I decided to heck with worrying about what's happening in the rest of the world and what the numpties are up to.
When I woke the sun was shining and I wanted to make the most of it. Autumn will be here soon enough, so this morning we went my husband and I, for a walk in the grounds of South Hill Park our local arts centre, with our two youngest granddaughters, only they didn't walk they rode their bikes...
I wish I had even a fraction of their energy. They went like crazy over grass and along footpaths, must have covered three times the ground hubby and I did, and still had energy to spare when we got back home.
This afternoon I have to visit my allotment and pick more runner beans. They've loved the wet summer and now I'm giving them away because my freezer is full.
We are also faced with the problem of storing two giant pumpkins that I've been growing. They are just ripening and will be ready to harvest well before Halloween.
Every time we drive up to the allotment site which is situated in the middle of a housing estate that has its share of problem kids, I expect to find the two, twenty pound pumpkins either missing or messily squashed and I know the longer I leave them, the higher the risk.
I want to donate one to our local infant school; the other will have pride of place in the front garden on October 31st, and I want our granddaughters to be there to help us pick them.
I'm trying to educate them on where fruit and vegetables come from B.S. [Before Supermarket] It was quite scary they didn't know cucumbers actually grew like any other plant.

No comments: